The Old Problem
In the past if one needed a wooden sofa leg with an M8 Metric hanger bolt, but liked a certain wooden leg which had the standard 5/16" hanger bolt -- the only option was to purchase a 5/16" T-Plate in order to install each leg being replaced. The project was certainly doable, but required one to install a T-Plate with each wooden sofa leg being replaced.
The New Solution
We are now offering a new service for customers who need wooden sofa legs with an M8 hanger bolt, but have found a wooden sofa leg they like with a 5/16" hanger bolt. We will - in house - remove the present 5/16" hanger bolt from the wooden leg selected by the customer and install a new M8 metric hanger bolt. This means the customer will receive their new wooden sofa legs with M8 Metric hanger bolts already installed. The wooden sofa legs will thus be ready to simply screw into the old M8 threaded receptors on the furniture item. The amount of work and time needed for leg installation is significantly reduced.
M8 Hanger Bolt Included
The charge for this service includes the cost of the M8 Hanger Bolt as well as the installation of the bolt. The customer does not need to purchase the hanger bolt separately.
Special Note on Hanger Bolt Sizes
- Please be advised that there are three sizes of Hanger Bolts. Please carefully check the hanger bolt size on your present leg to assure that your new legs will be compatible. Both your present leg and your new leg need to have the same size hanger bolt. The common or standard Hanger Bolt size is 5/16".
- If your furniture item was manufactured in the United States, your Hanger Bolt is probably the 5/16" size.
- If your furniture is European / Italian, your Hanger Bolt is probably the Metric (M10) 10mm size. But, it may be our new M8 size. The M8 size hanger bolt is practically identical to the 5/16" hanger bolt in diameter, but the threading on the M8 is finer..
- If you are uncertain which size Hanger Bolt you need, please call for assistance.
M8 Is an Uncommon Size
- The M8 Hanger Bolt is almost exactly the same diameter as the 5/16" hanger bolt, with the difference being in the M8 having finer threading (see illustration under "More Views").
- The M8 size hanger bolt is an uncommon size; it should be ordered ONLY if the consumer is absolutely certain they need an M8 bolt.
M8 Size Hanger Bolt Fits Many Styles of IKEA Sofas and Chairs
Because of the similarity between the 5/16" and M8 Metric Hanger Bolts -- the consumer may wish to purchase the "Hanger Bolt Fit Test Kit, 5/16", M8, and M10 Sizes" listed in the top right column on this page under "Related Products". This test kit will enable the purchases to compare actual 5/16", M8, and M10 hanger bolts to determine which one best fits their IKEA furniture item.
Special Note on "In-House Service"
Please be advised that our "In-House Service" does NOT entail Sofa Leg Warehouse personnel traveling to the customer's residence to perform this service. We perform the above described service for our customers in our warehouse. The legs, with the appropriately installed hanger bolts, are then shipped to the customer who will install the purchased legs on their furniture item.